Friday, November 2, 2012

No Sew Halloween Cat Costumes & My New Craft Discovery

It was a sweet Halloween.  Never-mind the fact that my 23-month old barely gets the concept of Halloween and costumes.  This year we were a family of cats.  Milan & I's getup homemade, George's store bought from a zillion years ago.  FYI, I gave Milan a box of raisons before heading out.  It kept her so busy that she wasn't interested in eating any of the candy she collected. Hmmm...I wonder how long that trick will work for?

The kitty outfits were no-sew and just required a glue gun and a few things from around the house.  No-sew for me rarely happens and my use of a glue gun is as likely as St. John freezing over!  It just doesn't happen.  However I must confess it was so easy this year that I may have to embrace glue guns and no-sew concepts more often. 

A head band and 2 pieces of felt folded like a triangle make the ears.  
A few daps of hot glue keep it all in place.
I used chenille sticks (since when did pipe cleaners get a fancy name?) for the wrist & ankle cuffs and the tail.  I twisted 2 for each wrist and ankle cuff and about 10 to make the tail.
 I attached the tail with a safety pin. 

And my favorite craft discovery this halloween...cotton balls dyed with diluted red food coloring to make pink fur.  Who knew?!  After dipping the cotton in the colored water, I air dried them for a day or so.   

The color turned out beautiful with lots of depth & variation, almost like cotton candy.  A little glitter added a little sparkle. 
I glued the cotton balls onto the chenille stick cuffs (about 5-6 cotton balls to a cuff for Milan's and 6-7 for mine).   
And voila...another island inspired improvisation!
Will definitely use this dyed cotton ball idea again for other projects! 

CC

No comments:

Post a Comment