Friday, March 26, 2010

Linen Water

This week I've been preparing for my friend Karen's visit with her family. It's their first time to the Virgin Islands, and they are very excited to leave the unpredictable DC weather behind for a few days. Prepping for Karen's visit next week has got me thinking about the things that set a guest room apart from a hotel room, and the little touches which make any guest feel at home. Books to read, good lighting, fresh flowers, dark window treatments, a comfy bed, soft sheets, all good starts yet predictable. But linen water, ah ha, that's one of those "little something special" treats you do for guests, especially one that has been a friend for almost 20 years!
I am obsessed with fabric, so it is no surprise that I make my own linen water too!


I spray all of my soft furnishings with it, and use it as a room scent. I've just started experimenting with homemade essential oils using local flowers and plants, I'll share some of my recipes if the experiments turn out! But for now, I use ready made essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs.
Here's my basic linen water recipe:
CC's Linen Water
1 tsp your favorite essential oil (I like lemongrass, jasmine or lavender)
2 shots (3 oz) unflavored high proof vodka
24 oz of distilled water
Combine all ingredients in a spray bottle and shake to emulsify. Spray into the room, on linens, throws, pillows and other soft furnishings. Remember, essential oils may cause stains over time. Be careful when spraying lampshades and other delicate items which cannot be washed.
Enjoy!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment