Monday, February 15, 2010

The Winter Olympics & The Cinnamon Bay Hiking Trail

The start of the Winter Olympics has got me missing cold winters this week.   Luckily it's simply a fleeting thought, as I think about all the snow that's fallen on the US and Canada recently.  We might not have gotten our share of fallen white snow, but certainly have gotten our share of beautiful yellow fallen leaves caused by our 75 degree winter temperature.  And although I didn't get a chance to go cross-country sking this weekend, I did manage to go on a beautiful island hike!


My favorite time of day for a hike is early morning well before 9 AM!  It's still cool out, the trails are quite, there are loads of birds and animals to observe, and most of the time I'll have a trail all to myself!  St. John is filled with wonderful hiking trails as two-thirds of the island is protected by the Virgin Islands National Park.  Here is a picture from a vantage point on the Cinnamon Bay Trail.
The Cinnamon Bay Trail starts off of North Shore Road, across from the Cinnamon Bay camp ground and ascends to Centerline Road, at the island's center.  The trail is 1.1 miles each way and a solid exercise hike.  Unlike many of our trails, this trail ascends rather then descends first.  The trail is lined with fragrant bay rum and cinnamon and includes a detour to visit ruins.  Here are a few things I found particularly inspiring on this hike.  I can see these becoming fabric patterns or colors in the near future.


Warm Wishes,
CC


No comments:

Post a Comment