Monday, January 25, 2010

Morning Coffee

I do my best thinking in the morning over coffee, and I LOVE exceptionally good coffee. I dream about it and look forward to it when I open my eyes! Unfortunately it is a very difficult thing to find on St. John! Luckily Peet's Coffee ships to the Virgin Islands so I never have to do without a good cup. I got hooked on Peet's years ago when I lived in San Francisco, not only is the coffee amazing but the company is social responsible and supports many villages and communities around the world. My favorites are Arabian Mocha-Java, Major Dickason's Blend, and Sumatra- full body and smooth liveliness. PERFECTION in a cup! But what makes morning coffee even better for me is drinking from an elegant coffee cup. Taking the time to sip and savor every flavor from china or porcelain versus taking quick gulps from one of my jumbo utilitarian mugs. Of course it doesn't happen every morning, but when it does there is just something so decadent about this simple pleasure. I have a small collection of beautiful coffee and tea cups just for this reason, they remind me to relax and be present and in the moment. After all that's why I moved to an island, to take it all in and slow it all down.
None of my cups match, some are expensive and some are not, but then that's what keeps the collection grounded and interesting. The one in the picture isn't one of my prettiest but is one of my favorites. It has lots of sentimental value because it was given to me over 15 years ago by a dear colleague and mentor. It has a few nicks and chips but I see those as signs of being put to good use! The picture is from my deck yesterday in the early morning. You can see St. John just beginning to waking up, the car ferry, and St. Thomas in the far distance. It turned out to be a beautiful day. CC

No comments:

Post a Comment